Eczema or Atopic Dermatitis in Sarasota
The board-certified professionals at Suncoast Skin Solutions have been dedicated to providing patients with comprehensive surgical, medical, and cosmetic dermatological care. Our cutting-edge surgical and non-surgical approaches to medical and cosmetic dermatology provide our patients with natural-looking results that require minimal downtime and recovery.
WHAT IS ECZEMA (ATOPIC DERMATITIS)?
Eczema is a common condition that affects the skin’s barrier function, resulting in redness, bumps, flakiness, or itching. Currently, there is little known about the causes or cures for eczema, but there are thankfully many good treatment options that can keep symptoms under control. Our Sarasota atopic dermatitis experts can help you understand your eczema and give you options to look and feel your best.
Eczema thrives on a cycle of dryness and irritation, which is why it’s so important to keep the skin moisturized. Routine moisturizing with the right products is the best place to start for anyone with eczema. Our team is well-versed in the best eczema treatments in Sarasota, and can recommend the best moisturizers for your skin.
TIPS TO PREVENT AN ECZEMA FLARE-UP
To keep your eczema under control and avoid a symptom flare-up, keep these tips in mind:
- Take daily baths or showers in lukewarm water, using a mild, hypoallergenic soap.
- Only gently pat your skin dry, don’t rub.
- Moisturize your skin right after you bathe, while the skin is damp.
- Use moisturizers often throughout the day, opting for products that are fragrance-free and hypoallergenic.
- Make sure your household products (detergents, cleansers, etc) are nontoxic and fragrance-free. Avoid other irritants like dryer sheets.
WHAT SHOULD YOU DO IN CASE OF AN ECZEMA FLARE?
Even patients who are good with their skincare experience flare-ups sometimes. If you feel your flares are becoming more frequent or severe, we encourage you to make an appointment to see one of our Sarasota atopic dermatitis dermatologists at Suncoast Skin Solutions. Here are some general recommendations for handling a flare of your eczema symptoms:
What Treatments are Available for Eczema?
- Soak in a lukewarm bath for approximately 10 minutes, or until you see slight wrinkles on your fingertips.
- After patting your skin dry, apply a thick moisturizer to your whole body. 1-2 times daily.
- If you have Rx eczema medications, wait 30 minutes or so to apply them.
Reach out to us at Suncoast Skin Solutions to learn more about setting up a consultation for your skin concerns at our Sarasota clinic and discuss atopic dermatitis treatment options.