Eczema in Hudson FL
WHAT IS ECZEMA (ATOPIC DERMATITIS)?
Eczema is a condition that affects the function of the skin’s barrier and causes the skin to become red, bumpy, itchy, or flaky. There is currently no known cure for eczema, but there are many effective ways to keep this condition under control. Here at Suncoast Skin Solutions, our Hudson dermatologists are well versed in eczema treatment, and can help you look and feel your best even with this condition.
Because the cycle of dry, itchy skin can lead to more irritation, it’s important to keep your skin moisturized. This is the best thing you can do for your skin if you have eczema. Our team of atopic dermatitis & skin care specialists in Hudson can help you find the best moisturizers for your skin type, and provide other treatment options too.
TIPS TO PREVENT AN ECZEMA FLARE-UP
To manage your eczema and avoid a flareup in your symptoms, here are some general recommendations:
- Bathe daily in lukewarm water, using a mild soap that is fragrance free and hypoallergenic.
- Don’t rub your skin—pat dry whenever possible.
- Apply moisturizers right after bathing or showering, while the skin is still damp.
- Moisturize as often as needed throughout the day, using products that are gentle and fragrance free.
- Swap your household products like cleansers and detergents for ones that are natural, nontoxic, and fragrance free, and avoid things like dryer sheets, as these are often irritating.
WHAT SHOULD YOU DO IN CASE OF AN ECZEMA FLARE?
Even if you are diligent with your self-care routine, you may still experience eczema flares. If you are having routine flares, it’s time to see one of our Hudson eczema treatment specialists at Suncoast Skin Solutions. It’s important that you continue your skincare routine, even during flares. This is a general recommendation for treating an eczema flare:
What Treatments are Available for Eczema?
- Get in a lukewarm bath and soak for 10 minutes, or until your fingertips are slightly wrinkly.
- After gently patting your skin dry, apply a greasy moisturizer to your entire body. Do this at least once per day, twice if possible.
- If you use prescription medications for your eczema, apply them at least 30 minutes after your soak and grease is complete.
Learn more about eczema treatment options in Hudson at Suncoast Skin Solutions—reach out today to schedule your appointment!